Saturday, May 18, 2013

Ghost Dad: 2013's First Few Great Albums, Part Four

4. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

"Let the music in tonight/Just turn on the music
Let the music of your life/Give life back to music."

Holy goddamn does that make me happy. Daft Punk have decided to speak to their audience again.




Yes. I know...that's the joke.



Giorgio Moroder is all over this album; and at times, even a part of it ("Giorgio by Moroder"). His 'sound of the future' is today. Daft Punk have gone above and beyond on their fourth album. The future is within the light-fantastic of the synthesizer, according to the two French robots that made this album--it is the dictator of love ("The Game of Love") and the hand of fate ("Contact"). But there are glimpses of flesh and blood within this mainframe that make Random Access Memories an hour of pop joy ("Fragments of Time," "Get Lucky"). Tickling our aural sugar teeth is what Daft Punk are all about in the 21st century; and that's just what we need, thank you. I'll let my teeth rot out of my head before I stop banging it to these masterful tuneful tunes.

Think Kanye West meets Devo meets Michael Jackson. I'm not sure how else to describe the production values besides Kanye West. They're just so damn slick. And there are so many guests on this thing it reads like a guest-list. Which isn't to say there other characteristics that emulate Kanye in any way...goddammit. Okay, I'm done.

No comments: