Friday, June 17, 2016

30 Years of Music with Adam Johnson...Episode Thirty: "It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer"

78. Kraftwerk - K4: Bremen Radio 1971 (1971)


Before they became robots, Kraftwerk still employed Michael Rother and Klaus Dinger. This live recording from an on-air studio session cements these German cats as the masters of electronic improv, like a binary-driven Mothers of Invention.

An honest revelation upon my first listen.

Recommended Listening: Heavy Metal Kids, K1, K4


77. CAN - Future Days (1973)


If I hadn't taken the plunge into krautrock upon my moving to Minneapolis from Illinois I wouldn't be in an awesome band right now.

For years I felt alienated in the music scenes I found myself. Punk was full of energy and politics, but also fashion and substances abusers. Rock-and-roll bred mediocrity instead of danger. And the "alternative" crowd...well - Incubus is a fine band, I suppose (until you're 17).

If I couldn't burn flags in the name of the MC5 or change my local legislation through punk protest, then I would turn to the stars. Bands like Uriah Heep and Hawkwind tripped the light fantastic, but CAN were another story all together. CAN were the light--bright, shimmering, fast, intangible, singular, enveloping.

Space is endless, and so are the jams on Future Days.

Recommended Listening: Future Days, Spray, Bel Air


76. Assjack - Assjack (2009)


Never count a man as a soldier of one camp. Though he may be the grandson of the greatest country singer of all time, Hank Williams III wears many colors with pride (oh, the pride), and most of them are allegiances of his own invention. I have an extra soft spot in my heart (probably from alcohol) for solo artists, and this fella doesn't disappoint.

If you've ever wondered what the guy at the bus stop arguing with himself is thinking, it's this - this is what's going on inside his head. Because he's high on cocaine--lots of cocaine.

But drugs aside...dammit, can't do it - Assjack is the sound of primal indulgence, and I like it.

Recommended Listening: Tennessee Driver, Wasting Away, Gravel Pit, Cocaine the White Devil



75. The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (1979)


The punk rock Beatles, the Buzzcocks were made of hits for about three years. They questioned everything around them before questioning themselves. Then their leader went and formed Magazine.

But we still got these dozen or so solid gems, everybody. Don't worry. And man are they solid. The Buzzcocks are a language all to themselves, influencing and directing other artists in ways they can't even appreciate. Holy moly does this collection of songs prove that a great band can do something transcendent.

Recommended Listening: Orgasm Addict, What Do I Get?, Ever Fallen In Love?, Oh Shit!, Autonomy, Noise Annoys, Why Can't I Touch It?

74. Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key of Life (1976)

I've never been much of a religious person, so this is my gospel music. Songs that celebrate life are probably the closest thing an atheist/agnostic can get to praising the holy spirit, and Stevie Wonder is the best singer of such songs there is. He loved us so much he gave us two discs full of passion. What a nice guy...



Recommended Listening: Love's In Need of Love Today, Village Ghetto Land, Sir Duke, I Wish, Past Time Paradise, Isn't She Lovely, Joy Inside My Tears, Saturn


73. The Who - Who's Next (1971)


"Classic rock" doesn't get better than this, folks. Listening to the Who in their prime, basically inventing modern rock, is like listening to the first French speakers. Vowels flow like wine, but stay sharp and stay on the pallet long after they're gone. And it all comes a head with "Won't Get Fooled Again".

Damn.

Recommended Listening: Baba O'Riley, Love Ain't For Keeping, The Song Is Over, Getting In Tune, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again


72. The Who - Live at Leeds (1970)


Pete Townsend needed to remind people that he pretty much invented the modern rock song, and Leeds was the right time to do it. Just before dropping their best album, the Who made Led Zeppelin look like school children in an assembly hall.

Though not as cathartic as Kick Out the Jams (1969), Live at Leeds showed me that a live rock band that worked hard could provide an indispensable product that demands attention.

The Who were always better than the Rolling Stones, and they knew it.

Recommended Listening: Young Man Blues, Substitute, Shakin' All Over, My Generation

No comments: