Sunday, May 8, 2016

120n190: 30 Years of Music with Adam Johnson...Episode Eighteen: "Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm"

139. Sepultura - Arise (1991)


It took me a long while to really dig death metal, but these Brazilian maniacs gave me the push I needed. Peerless until the departure of leader Max Cavalera, Sepultura continue to play any country with electricity.

Recommended Listening: Dead Embryonic Cells, Desperate Cry, Altered State






138. Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (1992)


Undeniable as they were, it took me a long time to really get how necessary the Beasties were to rock-and-roll; more so than hip-hop, truly. They weren't just MCs, they were scientists.

Recommended Listening: Pass the Mic, Gratitude, So What'cha Want, Stand Together







137. Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards (1972)


I had resigned the Heep to the same camp as Jethro Tull, Rainbow, and Mountain - good (well, alright, really), but just not good enough.

Then a friend played the second side of this record for me, and "Rainbow Demon" pulverized my opinion all for the better.

Recommended Listening: Easy Livin', Rainbow Demon, Paradise





136. Alejandro Escovedo - Real Animal (2008)


I was lucky to discover this punk veteran at all, but even luckier to share these sharp, sweet songs with my wife. We saw him at the Minnesota Zoo in 2010 and were thoroughly impressed. A very real talent with the mileage to back it up.

Recommended Listening: Always A Friend, Sister Lost Soul, Swallows of San Juan






135. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988)


I kept hip-hop at arms length for a looooong time because I didn't quite see the art within. Then I finally got around to Public Enemy, and man...did I feel stupid.
What the MC5 did for rock-and-roll, Public Enemy did for hip-hop...and, let's face it, rock-and-roll. Slayer sample, y'all...Slayer sample...

Recommended Listening: Bring the Noise, Don't Believe the Hype, She Watch Channel Zero?!



No comments: